We probably couldn’t find anyone on Earth who would doubt that Klaviyo is a powerful marketing automation platform for ecommerce sites. In recent years, this Boston-based technology company has experienced tremendous growth and expanded its feature offering multiple times.
Ecommerce businesses can find a complete set of marketing tools, robust segmentation and analytics capabilities, beautifully designed email templates, and signup forms. Moreover, all of this is covered with a user-friendly interface, making it easy for marketers to figure out how to use it.
However, Klaviyo is known for one more thing — its high prices. It often feels like, if you want to earn a lot, you need to be ready to pay a lot for your marketing solution. But is that always the case?
In this article, we provide an unbiased analysis of Klaviyo’s competitors that can serve as great alternatives and meet your ecommerce needs.
Best overall Klaviyo alternative: Omnisend
Gamification and signup forms
Unique discount codes
If Klaviyo takes the leading position in ecommerce marketing solutions, Omnisend is right behind it in second place. This is great for customers because the Omnisend team simply tries harder.
Why do we say so?
Omnisend pros and cons
- Omnisend serves 100,000+ ecommerce customers. It's a well-established solution in the market.
- They have a lot of ecommerce-tailored features.
- Omnisend offers one-click integration with platforms like Shopify, Shopify Plus, BigCommerce, WooCommerce, Wix, etc.
- Pre-built automation, email, and signup form templates are both rules and copy ready.
- They provide beautiful and up-to-date designs.
- Their customer support team has multiple customer service awards in 2022 and 2023.
- The price is significantly lower than Klaviyo’s.
- Lacks geo-location and a few other reports
- There is no A/B testing for forms
- Less email templates
- There is no mobile push notification feature
Easy to use basics
Good landing page builder
A wide range of reports
Solopreneurs, startups, non-profit organizations
Mailchimp still holds a leading position in the email marketing field. Everyone knows this brand, and for a good reason. You can read the full Mailchimp review to learn why.
Mailchimp bills itself as an all-in-one platform and mainly caters to the needs of small businesses and solopreneurs. However, their Premium plan includes many advanced ecommerce features that can compete with Klaviyo and Omnisend in various aspects.
Mailchimp pros and cons
- A wide range of integrations with ecommerce platforms and other tools
- Advanced segmentation
- Behavioral targeting
- Pre-built marketing automation
- Beautiful email templates
- Priority phone support
- Pricing similar to Klaviyo’s
- Mailchimp doesn't have built-in SMS channel
- The platforms doesn't provide so many advanced ecommerce reports as Klaviyo does
- Mailchimp doesn't have multi-step popups
Continue reading to find out where Mailchimp falls behind and in what cases this Kalviyo alternative is worth your time and money.
Best cheap alternative: Brevo
Compatibility with other marketing channels
Generous free plan
Bloggers, non-profit organizations, ecommerce beginners
If your business is very recent and you don’t have a stable monthly budget to pay for your email marketing platform, Brevo may be right for you. They have a unique pricing structure and charge based on the monthly sent email volume, unlike the other alternatives here that charge based on the number of subscribers.
Additionally, they offer a ‘pay-as-you-go’ option, which is convenient when you haven’t established a sending routine yet, your list is growing, and you are keen on experimenting with segmentation and targeting.
In a nutshell, here’s what you can expect from Brevo:
Brevo pros and cons
- A generous free plan
- Great compatibility with marketing channels
- Sufficient marketing automation features
- Transactional emails
- Friendly pricing plans and more
- Brevo isn't as advanced as Klaviyo
- Brevo's creatives (email templates, forms) aren't so visually strong
To ensure a fair comparison, in this article we discuss higher-tier plans. In most cases, including Brevo, advanced ecommerce features are included only in business pro plans. For more information about what you can get for free or with an entry-level plan, please check out our full Brevo review.
Feature comparison table
Let’s take a quick look at features — what Klaviyo has and what the Klaviyo alternatives offer.
Omnisend: features that stand out
For a full Omnisend review, please check this article. Now, let’s discuss the most effective and appealing features that this platform offers.
Building an email campaign on Omnisend
Omnisend has developed some pretty awesome features that ecommerce marketers can benefit from to help them save time on redundant tasks. For example:
- The Product Picker is a unique feature that lets you pull the product data directly from your store to your email, including price, photo, and description. You save time on adding those elements manually every time you build your campaign.
- Once you add your brand style and logo to the brand asset, they automatically adjust to all email templates and signup forms.
- AI-generated campaigns are also available, although they are still in beta. This feature sounds exciting and worth trying as the platform pulls your style from the store and generates an email campaign.
- Offering built-in unique discount codes. You just drag-and-drop the content block with the discount code, set it up and every recipient gets the unique code. So no more discount code leaks and no third-party solutions.
Beside that, Omnisend also lets you automatically resend your campaigns to non-openers, a feature known as Campaign Booster. 48 hours after the initial campaign, this feature lets you send the same campaign to non-openers with a different subject line, ultimately improving overall campaign performance.
While most email service providers offer similar functionality through segmentation, Omnisend automates this feature. Again, it’s all about saving time for busy marketers.
Omnisend marketing automation
Omnisend offers 25 automation workflows tailored for most usual ecommerce scenarios. You can launch them immediately because they are both copy and logic ready. Even if you don’t like the exact copy Omnisend offers, it’s easier to edit than to write from scratch.
The overall marketing automation section on Omnisend looks pretty decent. You can find conditional splits, a wide range of triggers, including shopping and onsite behavior, customer lifetime value, and more.
Moreover, you can include SMS and web push notifications directly in your workflow, allowing you to reach your customers better.
In general, Omnisend is highly compatible with other marketing channels such as text messages, web pushes, Facebook, and Google retargeting — they’re all here. This saves you time and money.
Why choose Omnisend instead of Klaviyo
Omnisend can easily be considered the best alternative to Klaviyo. Their campaign, marketing automation, and other features are very similar — in fact, they’re almost an exact match.
However, Omnisend offers a few additional perks:
- Due to their different tracking technology, Omnisend allows you to identify more abandoned carts compared to Klaviyo.
- Omnisend includes a gamified Wheel of Fortune signup form and a landing page builder.
- Omnisend provides unique discount codes, a product recommender, and a product picker in the email builder.
- Omnisend offers an auto-resend campaign booster for non-openers.
- Unlike Klaviyo, Omnisend supports international SMS and web push notifications.
- They are known for their responsive and top-notch 24/7 customer support.
- Omnisend offers a significantly better price.
It sounds like a dream, doesn’t it?
Why choose Klaviyo over Omnisend
Although Omnisend may seem like a perfect solution for ecommerce, we have identified a few reasons why you should consider staying with Klaviyo instead. Here are the following reasons:
- Klaviyo offers slightly better reporting, including geo-location reports and some custom ecommerce reports.
- If you require A/B testing for signup forms, Klaviyo provides this feature, whereas Omnisend doesn’t.
- Klaviyo offers mobile app notifications, which are a new feature not available in Omnisend.
- Klaviyo has a larger selection of ready-to-use email templates.
That’s pretty much it for the higher monthly fee.
Mailchimp: features that stand out
Mailchimp is one of the most complete tools available in the market. Despite a few downsides, this platform offers many useful and impressive features that simplify the lives of marketers. You can find a full review of the Mailchimp platform available here. In this summary, we will focus on highlighting the best features of Mailchimp:
1.Intuitive and comprehensive email builder
Mailchimp provides everything you need, from beautiful email templates to excellent personalization capabilities, including dynamic content blocks, product recommendations, and a wide range of campaign reporting metrics. The email builder is one of the best in the market.
2. An extensive range of automated customer journeys
Mailchimp offers numerous logic-ready automated workflows for various ecommerce scenarios. You can find both simple journeys, like the welcome series, and more advanced journeys for experienced marketers. Additionally, there are plenty of triggers to choose from, conditional splits, and more.
However, it’s important to note that Mailchimp doesn’t have built-in SMS and push notifications that can be seamlessly added to your communication. You can, however, integrate with service providers to incorporate these features.
Furthermore, the copy and email design in the customer journey is on you. Mailchimp doesn’t offer copy-ready emails.
3. A very wide range of advanced features for experienced marketers
Mailchimp can only compete with Klaviyo with its highest-tier plan. That’s a fact. Comparing Mailchimp’s Premium plan to Klaviyo, it’s safe to say that Mailchimp can serve as an equivalent alternative.
Mailchimp provides multivariate testing, comparative reporting, advanced segmentation, and all the advanced features you need.
4. Integrations with a vast array of tools
While Klaviyo boasts about the number of integrations it offers, Mailchimp doesn’t fall behind. At least, not for now. Mailchimp integrates with almost all the tools you can imagine, providing seamless connectivity and compatibility.
In conclusion, Mailchimp is a powerful platform with an impressive range of features. While it may have some limitations, it can certainly compete with Klaviyo as an alternative choice for marketers.
Why choose Mailchimp instead of Klaviyo
Both platforms are powerful in segmentation, marketing automation, and reporting.
However, the devil is in the details. Mailchimp offers more CRM functions, a free website builder, a landing page builder, a postcard sending service, and more. If you’re just starting your ecommerce business, Mailchimp can be a better alternative for you as it provides more necessary functionality under one roof. Additionally, you can choose a cheaper pricing plan and save money.
Why choose Klaviyo instead of Mailchimp
Go with Klaviyo if you need premium features. Using the platforms at their full capacity is a bit cheaper on Klaviyo. Klaviyo provides many great business insights and advanced features without the extra fees. The pricing policy is easier to understand and predict on Klaviyo.
Furthermore, if you already use other solutions for CRM, transactional emails, and so on, it may not make sense to pay for them again on Mailchimp. In such cases, Klaviyo would be a more suitable choice.
Brevo: features that stand out
Brevo is an excellent solution for small ecommerce businesses. They offer transactional emails, great compatibility with marketing channels such as SMS and live chat, as well as built-in sales platform functionality. By using Brevo, you can access a wide range of necessary features from a single provider.
One standout aspect is the pricing structure. Unlike other platforms, Brevo charges based on the number of emails sent, rather than the number of contacts on your list.
Why choose Brevo instead of Klaviyo
Brevo may be less advanced compared to Klaviyo, but that’s precisely the point. Why pay for features you don’t need yet? Brevo offers a more cost-effective solution for businesses that don’t require the advanced functionalities provided by Klaviyo.
Why choose Klaviyo instead of Brevo
Klaviyo excels in user experience, seamless integration with ecommerce stores, and creative designs. If you require in-depth ecommerce insights, Klaviyo is the better choice, offering robust features and analytics capabilities that may not be as developed in Brevo.
Alternative to avoid – Moosend
We wouldn’t recommend Moosend as an alternative to Klaviyo. Don’t get us wrong, Moosend is a good platform, but the functionality is far away from what marketers pay for in Klaviyo.
- Moosend lacks better compatibility with other marketing channels, such as text messaging, push notifications, and social media retargeting.
- It doesn’t offer a native integration with Shopify.
- The analytics capabilities of Moosend are not as extensive.
However, apart from these limitations, Moosend is a user-friendly platform with a wide range of email templates, forms, and landing page options. If the above-mentioned limitations don’t exceed your expectations, Moosend can still be an option to explore.
Klaviyo alternatives: Summary
Selecting the appropriate tool is crucial for the success of your email marketing efforts. By carefully evaluating the advantages and disadvantages of various available tools, you can find the ideal email marketing platform for your ecommerce store.
Although not every tool may suit your needs, numerous Klaviyo alternatives offer similar features at a lower monthly cost.
Our team strives to be accurate and unbiased in reviewing email tools. However, we recognize that mistakes can happen, and it’s essential for us to stay up to date. If you come across any errors or things that need to be reviewed again, please let us know.